BROADFIELD HALL STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1101292

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1984

Statutory Address: BROADFIELD HALL STABLES

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROADFIELD HALL STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101292 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 11:58:51.

Location

Statutory Address: BROADFIELD HALL STABLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Cottered

National Grid Reference: TL 32449 31005

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 33 SW COTTERED BROADFIELD (east side)

1/1 Broadfield Hall Stables

-

GV II*

Stable block. Circa 1691 probably to designs by Nicholas Hawksmoor (1661-1736) for James Forrester (d.1696), cupola removed in C19. Red and grey brick 2 storeyed stable block, the roof tiled and with one large hip and 2 small ones at the rear. The front has a parapet, returned on the W. side, and the centre breaks forward slightly under a small pedimented gable and contains the central archway and a clock in the gable, there are rusticated quoins to the angles and the centre has chequer brickwork. The ground floor windows at each end of the front have a circular recess above, both enclosed within an arched recess. The building contains 3 loose boxes in the W part and a harness room and staircase to the upper floor in the centre (the E part has been converted to a large garagespace). Theloose boxes, harness room and staircase have original wood door of 8 panels, double doors to the harness room. This building has greater architectural quality than is usual for a stable building of this size, and was complementary to the earlier house, completed c1690 now destroyed and replaced by a 1930s building.The stable block appears to have resulted from the partial rebuilding of older buildings and the addition of a formal 2-storeys facade on the S front and W end. (Colvin (1978) 402: Kerry Downes Hawksmoor (1969) 27: Hine RL Relics of an Uncommon Attorney (1951) Ch 1).

Listing NGR: TL3244931005

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159844

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 402
Downes, K, Hawksmoor, (1969), 27
Hine, R L, Relics of an Uncommon Attorney, (1951)

End of official listing