VICTORIA HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1101310
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
VICTORIA HOUSE, 41 43, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICTORIA HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 16:59:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
VICTORIA HOUSE, 41 43, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Buntingford
National Grid Reference:
TL 36231 29474

Details

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET (west side)

7/48

19.10.51 No 41, (Victoria House) 22.2.67 and No 43

GV II*

Inn, now a house (41) and a shop (43). Front range C15 incorporating earlier N crosswing, C16 NW wing, front altered in early C18. Timber frame plastered at front, roughcast or dark weatherboarded rear parts. Steep old red tile roofs. A large 2- storeys U-shaped group, formerly the Angel Inn, with carriageway entrance to yard in the centre, and early C19 stair tower added in rear angle with jettied NW wing. Twin hollow-moulded blocked service doors on N side of carriageway and mortices for an axial partition in the bay to N suggest the cariageway represents the lower bay of the hall with parlour at S end with hipped later W extension. The front has a lower jettied and gabled crosswing at N end with rectangular oriel window on bold brackets to 1st floor and C19 3-light shop window and half-glazed door. More elaborate plasterwork on the rest of the front, with a deep coved cornice below the higher continuous front jetty, 6 foliate brackets, rusticated quoins to Ground floor, flush box triple sash windows with small panes flanking the carriageway, a 6-panel door (No 41) with Gibbs surround, exaggerated triple keystone and triangular pediment, a flush box sash window on left of door with moulded surround and 6/6 panes in broad glazing bars. Upper part in fan pargetting with 4 flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes, and overhanging eaves. Crown-post roof along front range with square posts and axial bracing to collar purlin. Remains of wallpaintings on Ground floor of No 41 around fireplace, of 2 periods. Earlier, ones of skillfull execution and solid colour with 2 angels holding Scrope arms on a shield and shield of the Trinity. Figure of saint between and sunburst patterned ground. Later work to left overlaps earlier work. Classical early C17 ornament, semi-nude shrouded figure and Roman lettered inscription. Elaborate moulded fireplace lintol. Interior of No 43 has exposed close-studding, tension braces, and heavy flat joists. (RCHM (1911)140 No 13: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3622229480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159788
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15710/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter L. Herring. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].