THE OLD CLOCK TOWER AND NUMBER 63

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101314

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: THE OLD CLOCK TOWER AND NUMBER 63, 63, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD CLOCK TOWER AND NUMBER 63
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 05:28:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD CLOCK TOWER AND NUMBER 63, 63, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Buntingford

National Grid Reference: TL 36174 29577

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET (west side)

7/54

19.10.51 The Old Clock Tower and - No 63

GV II

Clockhouse over footway, and adjoining Inn, now offices. Clockhouse said to be C16, restored in C19. Supported at N on mid C19 Inn. Clockhouse timber framed roughcast, rear and sides of turret weatherboarded and louvred. Old red tile roofs. A square gabled turret with clockface framed on E face (single hand) under a pointed louvred opening framed with square head in apex of steep gable with frilly bargeboard surmounted by a pole and windvane. The turret rises from the pitched roof of a bridge-buildinghigh over the passageway with a small-paned fixed window on E. No 63 has a high-level loft connecting with the rear of the bridge building. Polychrome brick decoration to grey brick inn formerly The Angel Inn. A 2 storeys, slate roofed, L- plan building facing E. Symmetrical front with 3 upper pointed windows linked by blind arcade, chamfered brick floor band with name engraved in Lombardic capitals in stone inset over central round arched door with 2 stepped orders. Flanking triple round- arched windows with cast iron columns replacing mullions. Chamfered plinth. Large decorative wrought iron bracket for inn sign. Ornamental cresting to roof ridge. Grey gault brick chimneys with grouped octagonal shafts and red brick caps and bases. (RCHM (1911) 140 No 16).

Listing NGR: TL3617229580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159794

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing