ALSWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101335

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: ALSWICK HALL, HARE STREET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALSWICK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101335 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 20:46:16.

Location

Statutory Address: ALSWICK HALL, HARE STREET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Buntingford

National Grid Reference: TL 37741 29409

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 32NE BUNTINGFORD HARE STREET ROAD (south side)

4/8 Alswick Hall

19.10.51

GV II

Country house. C16 E range, early C17 main range with front altered in early C19 and then largely rebuilt after fire in 1950s. Timber frame on brick plinth largely exposed timbers with roughcast panels, and fan pargetting also on E wing. Steep old red tile roofs. A large 2-storeys T-plan house with main range facing W over brick revetted terrace above remains of moat. Through-passage near middle, with service end to N with external gable chimney, hall to S with rear lateral fireplace backing onto fireplace in brewhouse in E wing. Parlour at S end with external gable chimney. Stair tower in SE angle of wings with entrance from hall. 2-storeys E wing on rising slope with one and a half storeys part with 2 gabled dormer on each side. 9 windows long W front with cross windows and leaded glazing (windows renewed), chamfered red brick plinth, large gabled porch with double doors, and paired tall square chimney shafts set diagonally on chimneys at each end. Exposed framing of rear wall shows the house to have been heightened by 1 metre. Interior had 4-centred moulded stone fireplace in parlour, and C16 clasped-purlin roofs to E range. Large Composite Order stone capital used as wellhead next S end of house. (RCHM (1911) 139 No 4: VCH (1914) 80-1: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3774129409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159741

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 80-1
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing