LAYSTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101341

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: LAYSTON COURT, 20, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAYSTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 16:16:43.

Location

Statutory Address: LAYSTON COURT, 20, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Buntingford

National Grid Reference: TL 36268 29493

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET (east side)

7/11 No 20 (Layston Court) 19.10.51

GV II

Grammar school and master's house, now one house. School built 1630-3 for Elizabeth Freeman of Aspenden Hall, re-endowed 1684 by Bishop Seth Ward and Lady Jane Barkham, house early C18 added at right angles. Used as school up to 1877, subsequently altered and S wing added. School in red brick and English-bond with stone windows and steep old red tile roof. House timber framed and plastered with a hipped old red tile roof stucco S wing extension. A large rectangular brick school building facing W with moulded gable parapets and unusual projecting gable chimneys with short octagonal shafts linked by a heavy capping. Chamfered plinth and a tall, single-storey front with deep eaves band, transomed ovolo moulded windows and a fine brick-pedimented, rusticated, round-arched central entrance. Hollow-chamfered tie- beams supported by curved braces from hollow-chamfered wallposts carry the butt-purlin oak roof with collar-trusses. Scratch- moulded panelling in N bay of 3, may indicate the original master's accommodation specified in the 1633 Will as under one roof with the school room for 25 boys. An attic floor was inserted with large gabled dormer windows before 1830 (Buckler dwg. in HRO). An early C20 lean-to porch covers the pedimented entrance, with a bay window to the right, and the brick work of the front plastered. The rear is less altered but the stone transomed ovolo-moulded windows may replace plastered brick ones noted by VCH c.1914. Early C18 master's house of 2 storeys, 4 windows wide with flush box sash windows, taller on Ground floor, of 6/6 panes. Tall Doric pilastered wooden doorcase with fluted pilasters and keystone beneath triglyph frieze and panelled hood. Door leads into a lofty Ground floor room possibly a former schoolroom. (RCHM (1911)139: VCH (1914)80: Pevsner (1977)118: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3626529496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159753

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 80
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 118
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing