THE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (CHRISTCHURCH) WITH HALL ATTACHED ON NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101371
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
THE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (CHRISTCHURCH) WITH HALL ATTACHED ON NORTH, BALDOCK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (CHRISTCHURCH) WITH HALL ATTACHED ON NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 03:48:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (CHRISTCHURCH) WITH HALL ATTACHED ON NORTH, BALDOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Buntingford
National Grid Reference:
TL 36158 29440

Details

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD BALDOCK ROAD (north side)

7/73 The United Reformed Church (Christchurch) with Hall - attached on N

GV II

Chapel (Congregational) and hall adjoining, now a church. 1819. White gault brick with slate roofs. A large chapel with gabled S front to road, a lower hall across the N end entered from lane at W, and single-storey vestry set back at NE with a burial ground before it. Triumphal arch design to front. Double width central arch containing round headed 1st floor window above recessed triple doorway. Square headed windows to side bays with flat gauged arches and recessed sashes with 8/8 panes. 6-panel doors, raised and fielded but bottom panels flush-headed, in corresponding panelled reveals. Doors separated by pilasters supporting a full entablature. Blind side recesses with notice boards. Cast iron lozenge and circle decoration to 2 pairs of gate standards and spear-topped railings sweep up to raised landing outside S doors. Triple-arched window over canopied door to hall. (Kelly (1914) 74).

Listing NGR: TL3615729441

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159729
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 74

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06618/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].