GLASSENBURY PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1101470

Date first listed: 27-Jan-1977

Statutory Address: GLASSENBURY PARK HOUSE, GLASSENBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLASSENBURY PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101470 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 04:52:40.

Location

Statutory Address: GLASSENBURY PARK HOUSE, GLASSENBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Cranbrook

National Grid Reference: TQ 74708 36648

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANBROOK GLASSENBURY ROAD TQ 73 NW (west side) 2/109 Glassenbury Park House 27.1.77 - II*

Country house with moat in landscaped park. Late C15, with front block of circa 1730-40, remodelled in 1877-79 by Anthony Salvia, all for the Roberts family. Main front (south) largely rebuilt after 1951. SOUTH FRONT: Red brick with sand stone quoins, window cills and eaves parapet. Plain tiled roof with gable parapets and kneelers, tall, part projecting gable stacks with oversail- ing cornices, and banded central stack behind main ridge. Slight central 5 bay projection to facade with quoins supporting very wide open pediment with oculus. 2 bay wings with windows more widely spaced. 2 storeys; symmetrical 9 bay front, glazing bar sashes. Central projecting porch with arched entrance and side openings and half columns flanking doorway. Panelled door. Large irregular wings to rear, mostly 2 storeys with attics, with buttresses and stone-dressed mullioned windows. Interior: Hall with panelling dated 1571. probably moved from elsewhere. 3-flight open well staircase opening of hall to left at rear. Study with salvin panelling and Jacobean columned salvin fire- place. Hasted gives the date c.1473 for the building of the original house ( - ). Surrounded by moat with dressed stone walls and with single span arched bridge with solid parapets to south and secondary bridge to east.

Listing NGR: TQ7470836648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 168959

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1799)
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801)

End of official listing