SAINT MARTIN'S SCHOOL THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101478
Date first listed:
12-May-1976
Statutory Address:
SAINT MARTIN'S SCHOOL, GREEN LANE
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, GREEN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAINT MARTIN'S SCHOOL
THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:24:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
SAINT MARTIN'S SCHOOL, GREEN LANE
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, GREEN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 77402 92492

Details

SJ 79 SE SALE GREEN LANE (west side)

3/165 Saint Martin's School and The Old School 12.5.76 House

G.V. II

School and schoolmaster's house. Dated 1874, tower 1877. W. Brakspear for Sir William Cunliffe Brooks. Free Gothic style. Header bond brick, stone dressings and slate roofs. T-shaped single-storey school (of 7 x 4 bays) with corner clock tower and adjoining house of 2 storeys. The school has projecting plinth, sill band, decorative applied timber eaves band, steeply pitched roof, coped gables with kneelers, and triangular roof vents. Each bay has a 2-light stone dressed mullion window with heavy transom. The clock tower forms an important street feature with it's commemorative stone plaque, stone quoins and bands, open belfry, pyramidal roof and weather vane. The 3-bay schoolmaster's house is attached by an elaborate arched entrance with foundation stone above and has similar details except for the cusped window heads, picturesque porch and dormer window, polychromatic relieving arches and crested ridge tiles.

Listing NGR: SJ7740292492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212924
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01739/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].