CARETAKERS COTTAGE AND STABLE COURT, ST ALBANS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101485
Date first listed:
02-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
CARETAKERS COTTAGE AND STABLE COURT, ST ALBANS COURT, ST ALBANS COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARETAKERS COTTAGE AND STABLE COURT, ST ALBANS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 00:48:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CARETAKERS COTTAGE AND STABLE COURT, ST ALBANS COURT, ST ALBANS COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Nonington
National Grid Reference:
TR 26341 52470

Details

NONINGTON ST. ALBANS COURT TR 25 SE 3/163 Caretakers Cottage and stable court 2.1.86 St.Albans court GV II Caretakers cottage. Circa 1875. George Devey. Ragstone ground floor and brick diapered upper floor with limestone dressings. Two storeys with moulded brick eaves to pyramidal roof with weather vane. Mullioned windows. S.W. elevation with 2 light stone mullioned window withdripstone above and below, asymmetrically placed.N.W.elevation with a similar first floor window to north of junction with stable archway. N.E. or entrance elevation with similar 2 light window above and four centred arched doorway below. Single storey wing adjoining to left with 2 light window to left and C20 window set below to right. Higher wing at right angles to N.E.with brick gable. Archway,also by Devey.Stone and brick with machicolation and parapet,wide moulded four centred arch of stone with dripstone in centre, flanked by narrow moulded stone archway on S S.E. adjoining cottage and flanked to right by flight of stairs leading to shaped gable with clock face dated 1775, the gable the remains of original stable court of c. 1721. Arcaded single storey C19 stable ranges to west (right) with recessed entry in re-entrant angle, and projecting stack to right, converted to use as art studios. Attached to rear of courtyard (south west) a brick wall originally enclosing a walled garden, with classical gateway,of stone with red brick piers and scrolled pediment with wrought iron gate and dated 1869, the wall extending beyond in part of C16 or C17 date.

Listing NGR: TR2630052400

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178024
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].