This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SOUTH FORELAND LIGHTHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH FORELAND LIGHTHOUSE

List entry Number: 1101512

Location

SOUTH FORELAND LIGHTHOUSE, THE FRONT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Margaret's At Cliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178497

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 34 SE ST MARGARET'S AT CLIFFE THE FRONT (south Foreland) 6/58 South Foreland Lighthouse

II

Lighthouse and outbuildings. Built 1793, rebuilt 1843. Rendered, with slate roofs. Irregular octagon with flanking wings. The tower is of 3 storeys on a plinth, with machicolations and battlemented parapet. Lantern with ball finial and weather vane. Single storey outbuildings with plinth and parapet and low hipped roof with 2 cast iron chimney pots. Projecting canted bay window on main facade, and projecting return wing both with pediment-shaped parapets and Trinity House emblems. Linked to tower by short wing with four centred arched doorway. Main entry to tower with pointed arch on attached shafts. With the first permanent electric lamp in the country (installed 1872, only the Lizard Light is more powerful on the south coast).

Listing NGR: TR3591143305

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 35911 43305

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101512 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 12:23:24.

End of official listing