This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101547



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woolaston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WOOLASTON GENERAL ST 59 NE 10/252 Church of St Andrew GV II Anglican parish church. C12 foundation, but almost entirely now of C19 'restoration' and extension. Sandstone, concrete tiled roof to coped gables. Original C12 cruciform plan now lost, is nave, south porch, 2-gabled south aisle, chancel, vestry, north tower (on site of north transept ?). Various windows generally in a C14 style. Three-stage tower with chamfered offsets, crenellated parapet to low pyramidal roof and weathervane, two deep buttresses to north side of nave. Outer and inner porch doorways heavily restored Norman, door has fine decorative C19 strap hinges. At west end of nave a 3-light window of c1300. Interior, nave with barrel roof, 2-bay south aisle of 1829, the easternmost bay on site of former south transept, chancel arch has paired granite columns with foliated caps, chancel roof 2 heavy cusped King post trusses. Pitch pine pews, octagonal C16 font on Victorian base, C18 pulpit from Claycoton, Northants and screen from Church of the Venerable Bede; one medieval bell, 2 of C17 and 2 of C18. The church was in the grant of Tintern Abbey from 1131; major restoration by Henry Morgan of Tidenham in 1859. It stands in a roughly circular churchyard, suggesting a very early site development. (VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X).

Listing NGR: ST5867699343

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)

National Grid Reference: ST 58676 99343


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 06:26:35.

End of official listing