Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101566.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2021 at 13:56:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Three Rivers (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 10331 91878


TQ 19 SW WATFORD RURAL WATFORD ROAD (Southeast side) Northwood

10/348 Admiralty House


House. c1898-1901, extended 1906. By M. Macartney for a Dutch patron. Red brick. Tiled roof. Domestic Revival/Queen Anne Style with informal entrance front and formal garden front. 2 storeys and attic. 4 bay block to right on entrance front, left half of which projects slightly with entrance. Door recessed behind a round arch to a groin vaulted bay. To right of entrance on ground floor a lunette. A moulded string course separates storeys. 2 first floor oculi with key blocks and gauged brick surrounds. Quoined return angles. Mutuled deep eaves. Hipped roof. 2 bays to right have white timber mullion and transom casements with moulded and gauged brick flat arched heads. An extruded stack between these 2 bays has a panelled shaft and over- sailing cap. Plinth. Plat band. To left of entrance block and set well back 4 bays with similar casements and 1 hipped dormer to left. Further left is service range with 2 tall 6 light stair windows. Stacks with oversailing caps. Outshuts with hipped roofs, 1 with a large lunette window. Right return from front: ground floor round headed window with Doric pilaster mullions, decoratively leaded windows, keyed surround, first floor 8 light casement. Garden front: symmetrical 7 bays, canted bay to centre with brick quoining and central French window, casements else- where, key blocked heads on ground floor, moulded lintels on first floor. Plinth. Plat band. 4 hipped dormers. End stacks with panelled shafts and oversailing caps. Set back to left: ground floor round headed French window as on right return. 2 first floor cross casements. Set back to right: 3 bays of service wing. Interior: 2 bay groin vaulted entrance hall. A good Neo-Georgian plasterceiling. Vase balusters and moulded handrail on stair. Formerly known as Frithwood House. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1033191878


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].