THE GROVE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1101580
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
THE GROVE, GROVE MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GROVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101580 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 21:32:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GROVE, GROVE MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Three Rivers (District Authority)
Parish:
Sarratt
National Grid Reference:
TQ 08212 98789

Details

TQ 09 NE SARRATT GROVE MILL LANE (Northeast side) Watford 6/305 The Grove (Formerly listed as Grove 15.11.73 House in the civil parish of Watford Rural)

GV II*

Country house, now offices. Late C16 origins. Rebuilt c.1720 for W or C Buck. Altered 1754-61 by M. Brettingham for the Hon T. Villiers. Extended and altered c.1780 by Sir R. Taylor for Villiers, now 1st Earl of Clarendon. Raised a storey, altered and extended c.1870-5 by E. Blore for the 4th Earl. Altered and extended mid C20. Red brick. Slate and tile roof. Originally probably an H plan reduced to a T with wing to left of main range in c.1720 rebuild. Right wing rebuilt by Taylor with new entrance front. 3 storeys. Original S facing entrance front, 2:3:2, main range articulated by Giant Roman Doric pilasters. Ground floor French windows with gauged brick cambered heads, central aedicular surround with double pilasters. Plat band to first floor, glazing bar sashes with gauged brick cambered heads, stone sills. Cornice to C19 attic storey: small 6 pane sashes with gauged brick flat arched heads, pilaster strips articulate each bay. To centre a larger round headed sash with apron panel and key blocked surround in an aedicular frame with pediment rising above C20 stone coped parapet. Cross axial stacks. To right and set back slightly is 3 bay block by Taylor. Glazing bar sashes, flat arched heads, stone sills. Simpler moulded cornice to attic. Chamfered brick quoins to right return or present entrance front. 1:3:1 with slightly projecting centre. C20 steps up to central brick porch. Part glazed doors, pilasters and pediment. Flanking round headed sashes, first floor sashes, simple cornice to attic. Chamfered brick quoins to outer bays which have slightly projecting ground floor tripartite sashes with brick mullions, cornices, apron panels. Chamfered quoins at ends. Projecting left wing with 4 bay re-entrant elevation, 2 storey quadrant in angle, C19 full height bow with 3 windows, ground floor tripartite sash, 2nd floor outer windows are blind. To left of bow blind windows on each floor with an attic sash. Another C19 full height bow with 3 windows to front, ground floor French windows, plat band, cornice and chamfered brick quoins. Left return 1:2:3:2:1 with projecting centre and ends. Plinth. Ground floor French windows that to centre with pilaster and cornice surround, flanking cambered heads. Plat band to first floor glazing bar sashes with stone sills, cambered heads. Cornice to attic. Giant Roman Doric angle pilasters articulate central 3 bays. Chamfered brick quoins to end bays. To rear 2 and 3 storey red, plum and yellow stock brick C19 service ranges with glazing bar sashes, plat bands, dentilled brick eaves, hipped roofs. Interior: lecture room chimneypiece, doors and ceiling, library chimneypiece and bookshelves by Taylor. C20 additions to N not of special interest. (VCH 1908: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript: D. Lovett The Grove Story, 1984).

Listing NGR: TQ0821298789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158950
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)
Lovett, D, The Grove Story, (1984)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02578/14
Rights: Copyright IoE John Reeve. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].