OXHEY GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101593
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
OXHEY GRANGE, LITTLE OXHEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXHEY GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 16:58:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
OXHEY GRANGE, LITTLE OXHEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Three Rivers (District Authority)
Parish:
Watford Rural
National Grid Reference:
TQ 12159 94209

Details

TQ 19 SW WATFORD RURAL OXHEY LANE (Southwest side) Watford

10/343 Oxhey Grange

GV II

Large house. 1876 by W. Young for W.T. Eley. Extended and altered 1908. Stock brick with red brick and stone dressings. Tiled roofs. High Victorian Gothic Style. Irregular plan, entrance moved in 1908. 2 storeys and attics. Original front to right of present entrance is 3 bays. Left former entrance bay projects. Plinth. Red brick quoins. First floor 8 light timber mullion and transom oriel with plasterwork on coved base and eaves, foliate ornament, date and initials. Hipped roof. Central bay has 2 tall ground floor and 2 small first floor casements in gauged and moulded red brick surrounds. Right bay: 3 ground floor tall casements, first floor 6 light stained glass timber mullion and transom window, chamfered jambs and quadruple pointed relieving arch with a timber balconette. Large gable with decorative tile-hanging and bargeboards. Right return is garden front with step back at return angle. 2 blocks to garden, that to left has a semi-circular turret with ground floor French windows and flanking tall casements. First floor oversails on decorative brick courses, stone course at sill level to similar windows. Brick diapering. Coved eaves with decorative plasterwork as at front to trumpet spire with leaded finial. To left of turret, 2 ground floor windows, initialled plaque on first floor. 4 light stained glass window in return wall from left block to right block, set well back. Central entrance with slightly cambered head, moulded red brick surround. Projecting to right on ground floor is a large canted bay with 36 light ovolo moulded stone mullion and transom windows, leaded panes. Stone coped parapet with ramped up merlons. Further right a canted bay projects with cross windows. 3 small bargeboarded gables to octagonal turret roof with finial. To rear a separately roofed block. 2 storey projecting canted bay to right with cross windows, hipped roof. Red brick diapering and quoins. Ground floor timber verandah. Left return from original entrance, ground floor altered in 1908 with stone mullion and transom window in canted bay with date and initials. First floor 4 light window in a projecting bay with a tile hung gable and a panel with earlier date and initials. Set back to left and extending out is long 1908 entrance addition. Massive Neo-Tudor ashlar porch: round arch, key blocked and moulded to recessed entrance, repositioned plank and muntin door has date 1736. Moulded square head to surround. Engaged Doric order to raised parapet with carved relief to centre, putti, fortifications and motto, 2 lion finials and scrolled ends. To right red brick base, stone surrounds to 1 and 3 light windows. To left a Doric loggia, tetrastyle in antis. Behind 1908 addition on original block is C20 basement, ground floor 4 light window with stone surround. First floor 6 light stained glass stair window with ovolo moulded stone surround. Bargeboarded dormer. Interior: 1908 entrance hall panelled and top-lit. Hall to garden has stone columns, shallow timber arches and repositioned angel corbels. Drawing room Neo-Classical plaster ceiling and chimneypiece. Dog-leg stair with barley sugar balusters, carved newel posts. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1215994209

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].