THE THREE HORSESHOES PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101625
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
THE THREE HORSESHOES PUBLIC HOUSE, SPELLBROOK LANE EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE THREE HORSESHOES PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 03:27:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE THREE HORSESHOES PUBLIC HOUSE, SPELLBROOK LANE EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sawbridgeworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 48772 17492

Details

Spellbrook 1. 5253 SPELLBROOK LANE EAST (South Side) The Three Horseshoes PH TL 487 174:4/4 6.6.52 II 2. C16 or earlier (reputedly 1446). 1 1/2 storey house set back from road. Timber frame exposed with plastered infill. Steep half hipped thatch roof. 3 rooms in line plan extended 1 bay at E end in C16/C17. Floor inserted in central bays in later C17 creating attic lit by dormer. Gable chimney at W, large internal chimney where later E bay joins house. Door on front (N) opposite chimney and another in W end part. E bay has straight tension brace and upper half of 2 light window with diagonally set oak mullions above later 3 light leaded casement. Gabled tiled dormer in roof slope with 2 light wooden casement. W end part still open to collars of roof inside. Edge halved bridle butt splice in rear wall plate. Gd floor lowered under inserted floor. Parts of framework of partitions remain. E bay has chamfered axial beam with concave stops. Deep, elaborately moulded,lintol to fireplace, possibly a bressumer re-used. Purlin roof construction. Buildings added to S with fake timberframing are modern. An interesting survival. Picturesque.

Listing NGR: TL4877217492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160852
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04404/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].