Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101628.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 20:04:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 48412 15116


STATION ROAD 1. 5253 (North Side) Nos 15 and 17 TL 4841 1510:1/10 24.7.75 II GV 2. C16. Long timberframed house subdivided. Medieval plan with parlour and hall (No 15), service rooms and early C18 lower brick rear wing (No 17). Large chimney and floor probably inserted in hall in C17. C18 stack added to E gable. C19 slate roofed lean-to behind No 15. Steep old tile roof gabled. 4 bay clasped purlin construction with wind braces. 2 storeys. 3 windows on each floor. 2 doors between windows. W gable weatherboard. E gable modern pargetting on timber frame. Front roughcast painted. Early C18,3 light mullioned windows with central casement. Plate casements on 1st floor with rectangular leaded glazing to No 15. Wooden casements to Gd floor. Plank doors, that to No 15 with shelf over on shaped brackets. Red brick rear wing in Flemish bond with plinth, small leaded window and central stack. Between house and stack 1½ storeys over deep cellar. 4 light dormer on W side with raking roof. Beyond stack a kitchen open to roof until c.1950. Interior of No 15 has old oak plank doors with blacksmith made hinges on both floors, a fine, early C18, corner cupboard in NW corner of parlour, chamfered axial beams and cross beams (cased in parlour), and moulded C18 wooden fire surround in parlour. Inside No 17, axial beam has evidence of partition between former pantry and buttery. Heavy shaped post in rear wall possibly part of original rear doorway. Curved tension brace in rear wall on 1st floor and blocked window. Named 'SPRINGHAMS' in deeds.

Listing NGR: TL4841215116


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03042/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].