This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LANDGUARD ON HILLSIDE TO SOUTH, DRIVE BESIDE NUMBER 90

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LANDGUARD ON HILLSIDE TO SOUTH, DRIVE BESIDE NUMBER 90

List entry Number: 1101632

Location

LANDGUARD ON HILLSIDE TO SOUTH, DRIVE BESIDE NUMBER 90, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160870

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STATION ROAD 1. 5253 (South Side) Landguard (on hillside to S, drive beside No 90) TL 4854 1504:2/6 II 2. C18 remodelled as a Regency cottage ornée in early C19. Stucco with steep slate roof. Entrance front on N. 2 storey, 3 windows. Central sash window over porch has 6/6 panes. Flanked by sash windows with 10/10 panes. All 1st floor windows have cast iron anthemion and basketwork plant holders to cills. Enclosed gabled porch with scalloped slates, leaded light lancets, Gothic pierced bargeboard, and flanking the door on applied trellis with spearhead pilasters. E end facing approach has faceted hipped roof. Faceted bay with 8/8 panes in sash on 1st floor. Below, a 3 light semicircular pilastrade with 3 glazed openings and continuous curving entablature. Centre opening has French doors. Adjacent along S front a lean-to vine house or conservatory. Higher tower at NW corner with 3 sided oriel with scalloped tile roof on E face. The house of Thomas Rivers in the first half of the C19 when Bonks Hill became house of Thomas Rivers junior. Named 'Hamptons' on OS 25" 1879.

Listing NGR: TL4854015044

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 48540 15044

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 07:16:03.

End of official listing