This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGEFOOT HOUSE (SOUTH SIDE OF JUNCTION WITH THE FOREBURY)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGEFOOT HOUSE (SOUTH SIDE OF JUNCTION WITH THE FOREBURY)

List entry Number: 1101634

Location

BRIDGEFOOT HOUSE (SOUTH SIDE OF JUNCTION WITH THE FOREBURY), STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160875

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STATION ROAD 1. 5253 (South Side) Bridgefoot House (S side of junction TL 488 149:6/1 6.6.52 with The Forebury) II 2. C16 or early C17,L-shaped brick house extensively rebuilt in late C17. Date '1569' said to be carved on timber uncovered in renovations. Red brick of 2 periods, old red tile roof, hipped at angle but gabled to W and S. Entrance front on E. 2 storeys and attics. Old red brickwork in English bond up to Gd floor cill level on rear walls of both N and E ranges and across S gable. Flemish bond fine red brickwork above and to fronts. S gable has,half buried in it, a very large old red brick chimney stack in English bond with 2 splayed offsets surmounted by 2 diagonal shafts. The later roof and gable brickwork run halfway up these shafts. As remodelled, the E and N fronts have a plinth, a projecting brick band at floor level and plaster coved eaves. 3 windows to each front. Hipped dormers with wood mullioned 2 light windows with diamond leaded attics. Windows below, mullioned and transomed with rectangular leaded glazing and iron casements. Central 2 light cross window flanked by 3 light windows. Door on E, C19, 4 panel, 2 glazed in heavy older frame with architrave moulding surmounted by a box hood. Staircase with newels, turned balusters and panelled string in oak. Dado panelling said to have been sold at Christies. An interesting late C17 house with remains of its predecessor. Important in views of bridge approaches.

Listing NGR: TL4882014956

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 48820 14956

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101634 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 03:44:09.

End of official listing