MANN MEMORIAL ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101635

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1981

Statutory Address: MANN MEMORIAL ALMSHOUSES, 1, 2 AND 3, VANTORTS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANN MEMORIAL ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:57:07.

Location

Statutory Address: MANN MEMORIAL ALMSHOUSES, 1, 2 AND 3, VANTORTS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Grid Reference: TL 48460 14784

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

VANTORTS ROAD 1. 5253 (East Side) Mann Memorial Almshouses (Nos 1, 2 and 3) TL 4846 1478:3/65 II GV 2. 1901-2 erected by Mrs Mann of Hyde Hall (Kelly's directory 1914), as a memorial to her husband. Gables have plaques with 'HEM' '1899'. Single storey facing into churchyard. Tudor Gothic style in knapped flint walling with stone dressings and gabled slate roofs. Symmetrical E front with recessed centre and flanking gabled wings. Parapet interrupted by higher central gable with kneelers and upright oval panel carved with fishing rod, 2 barbed hooks, a float and a fish. Moulded stone quoins, drip moulds, 2, 2 light, mullioned and transomed windows to centre, canted 4 light oriel window to front of each wing, and bases and caps to tall chimneys. Lean-to slate and timber open porches in angles and similar central porch each on low masonry piers with flint set flush with stone quoins and coping. Plank doors with pointed arched openings. Similar drip mould and cross windows to N and S flanks. Outbuildings to rear around yard covered by glass and iron roof. Red brick wall and gate piers to Vantorts Road with moulded terra cotta copings. Low wall to churchyard boundary of stone and flint formerly carried railings. An elaborate small almshouse and part of group with parish church.

Listing NGR: TL4844814798

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160878

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914)

End of official listing