Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101645

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952



Ordnance survey map of WHITE LION HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101645 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:02:21.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Grid Reference: TL 48138 14878


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LONDON ROAD 1. 5253 (East Side) No 28 (White Lion Hotel) TL 4813 1487:3/5 6.6.52 II GV 2. Later C16. W block c.1720-30 (RCHM Typescript). Small,early C19, extension to E end. L shaped 2 storey corner building with older part facing N onto Bell Street. Timberframed and plastered under steep old red tile gabled roof. Slate roof to E extension and rear slope of main roof. W block of red brick with gabled old red tile roof. N range consists of 2 bay gabled crosswing next E extension with formerly jettied hall and service end extending to W. Large chimney at upper (E) end of hall, W block with higher rooms has central corridor with room each side on 1st floor which probably reflects a similar arrangement on the Gd floor now gutted. External gable chimneys. N front to Bell Street has brick plinth painted, weatherboarding up to cill of Gd floor windows, and chevron patterned panelled pargetting above. Overhanging eaves. Bargeboard to gable of crosswing. 3 wooden 2-light casement windows to 1st floor, 6 panels to each light. Flush sash window with 8/8 panes to Gd floor and canted bay window to crosswing. C19,E extension weatherboarded. Flush boxed sash window to 1st floor with 6/6 panes. Simple pilastered shop front with box cornice on 2 shaped brackets with guttae. 3 light window. 3 panel door. C16 moulded heavy plank and batten rear door from kitchen to rear yard. Splendid show front to W block facing London Road. Plinth, 2 storeys and parapet, 5 windows. Red brick with lighter red dressings and some in stone. Segmental gauged brick arches with stone keystones. Giant order Doric pilasters at corners with moulded stone bases and capitals. Moulded brick entablature breaks forward over each pilaster with cut brick trigliphs and guttae. Moulded band at 1st floor level, returned before pilasters. Bed mould of cornice and floor band break forward over keystone of each window. 8 panel central door, raised and fielded, with wide wooden Doric doorcase with rusticated pilasters and full entablature with trigliphs and mutules breaking forward over pilasters. Bases and foresteps removed for road widening after 1959. Windows are slightly recessed box sashes with 6/6 panes and segmental heads to the frame and upper sash. Parapet rebuilt. Wrought iron bracket with cresting central over door. 1 bay single storey brick extension to S modern. The W block has brick gable walls and parapets and projecting gable chimneys. Internally quite plain. Timbers exposed in N range. Chamfered and stopped axial beams to Gd floor, wall frame on 1st floor and chamfered tie beams in crosswing.

Listing NGR: TL4814414866


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160802

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing