This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101663



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160751

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CAMBRIDGE ROAD 1. 5253 (East Side) No 2 TL 4821 1517:1/1 II GV 2. C18 linked complex formerly Walnut Tree Farm. House refronted and extended in early C19 and linked by outbuildings to barn on E. Farmhouse fronts pavement and is of brick with slate roof gabled. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Rear lateral chimney to NE and internal gable chimney to S. Symmetrical stucco front with parapet. Astylar composition with corner pilasters, plinth, cill band to 1st floor, cornice and blocking course. Door surround of pilasters and block cornice. Eared window surrounds with flat triangles over and also keystones to Gd floor. Sash windows with vertical margin lights. Modern door. C19 single storey yellow stock brick extension to S with slate roof and late C19 shopfront inserted. Good example of urban farmhouse. Complex shown on Tithe Map of 1839. C18, 5-bay timberframed barn weatherboarded over brick base. Projecting bay to E reroofed. Elm timbers. Unusual hybrid roof construction of collar and clasped purlin trusses with king posts with expanded feet halved over collars. Curved braces from unjowled posts. Half-hipped thatch roof replaced by corrugated asbestos about 1946. Now gabled but hip structure remains. Modern wooden windows. Carved on a post 'J..... Burton June 1812'.

Listing NGR: TL4821815180

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 48218 15180


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:43:43.

End of official listing