THREE MILE POND FARMHOUSE (400 YARDS NORTH OF BULL PUBLIC HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101664

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: THREE MILE POND FARMHOUSE (400 YARDS NORTH OF BULL PUBLIC HOUSE), CAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THREE MILE POND FARMHOUSE (400 YARDS NORTH OF BULL PUBLIC HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:39:49.

Location

Statutory Address: THREE MILE POND FARMHOUSE (400 YARDS NORTH OF BULL PUBLIC HOUSE), CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Grid Reference: TL 48498 16040

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMBRIDGE ROAD 1. 5253 (East Side) Three Mile Pond Farmhouse (400 yds N of Bull PH) TL 484 160:4/9 6.6.52 II GV 2. C16 with Cl7 additions. 2 bay 2 storey timberframed house of high quality, plastered under steep old red tile roof. Massive external gable chimney to E in red brick with engaged shafts and crow stepped gable. Mullioned wooden windows with diamond leaded lights and iron casements. Interior timbers exposed. Framed cross partition with tension bracing at 1st floor. Axial beams and every joist chamfered and stopped. Tension bracing to corners on 1st floor. Plank doors hung on iron pins. Older entrance by plank door on S side. Present entrance by plank door with fluted carved panel on N side. Cl7 single storey kitchen extension to E gable. Timberframe with old red tile roof hipped to E with gable chimney, now pierced by doorway. 3 light mullioned window on N with leaded glazing. Ceiled under collars. Taller late C17 parlour block extending W to roadside. Timberframe plastered. Steep old tile roof hipped to W and half-hipped to E. Hipped dormer on W slope. 2 high storeys, cellar and attic. Large internal chimney divides rooms from staircase to E. Timber boxed eaves with broad timber cove. Iron gutters with lion masks. Eaves cove breaks forward over 3 windows to 1st floor on S and N sides. C17 tall 2-light mullioned and transomed 'cross' windows with rectangular leaded glazing and iron casements. Central and E window on N side blocked. Single window on each side to Gd floor parlour. This room is panelled in pine with small panels and scratch moulded framing. Moulded 6 panel door with raised and fielded panels, H-hinges, elaborate moulded architrave. Corner cupboard (SW) with fluted pilasters, semi-domed head and shaped shelves. A different corner cupboard (NW) with fluted pilasters and glazed door with intersecting bars. Raised and fielded door to lower part. Some C19 woodwork to N of fireplace. Well stair with newels, heavy balusters and moulded handrail swept at quarter landings. Upper floor has 2 panel doors with raised and fielded panels and iron hinges. A-frame roof with ten one butt purlins. Tall parlour block is a prominent landmark. (RCHM (1911) 204:VCH III (1912) 332).

Listing NGR: TL4849816040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160752

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 332
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing