Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1101680

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1981

Statutory Address: 19, KNIGHT STREET


Ordnance survey map of 19, KNIGHT STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 05:30:30.


Statutory Address: 19, KNIGHT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Grid Reference: TL 48430 14996


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KNIGHT STREET 1. 5253 (East Side) No 19 TL 4842 1500:1/15 and 3/15 II* GV 2. Early c19. Said to be 1800-1810 from deeds. Rear part some 20 years later. Large,well-proportioned,stucco Regency house. Timberframed with stucco lined as ashlar, 3 storeys and cellar, 3 windows. Parallel 3 storey rear range of similar construction but slightly lower. Each has a hipped slate roof of low pitch with panelled plastered soffit to the broad eaves overhang and light brackets spaced to match window pattern. Flush sash windows with moulded architraves, central windows. 6/6 panes. Outer windows wider with 8/8 panes. Square projecting single storey porch stuccoed and with plinth and dentilled cornice. 6 panel front door with fielded panels. Circa 1900 single storey flat roofed billiard room stuccoed set back on N side. Discreet modern building set back on S side. Garden front (E) has similar 3 window pattern with 4/4 paned outer sash windows and 3/3 paned central sash window on 2nd floor. 3 light mullioned and transomed casement outer windows on 1st floor but no central window. Triple sashes full height on Gd floor with French windows to study and billiard room set back on N side. Central round headed doorway. Door glazed with margin lights. Scallop pattern fanlight. There are 4 rooms to each floor, with internal gable chimneys. Central stair with passage behind. Unequal floor levels front and rear on upper floors. Entrance hall has dentilled cornice with reeding around the ceiling enriched by small superimposed square panels with swirling paterae at close intervals in the manner of modillions. Fine freestanding staircase supported on coupled octagonal columns in the cellar. Stair rises in a double curve to the upper landing quite unsupported. Cut string with mahogany rail and wreath. Simple stick balusters, upper part of staircase has similar dentilled plaster cornice with reeding and paterae panels. 6 panel doors generally with planted mouldings. Library on Gd floor NE room has coved cornice, grey marble fire surround with incised panels and corner roundels; and panelled window shutters in the form of sliding doors disappearing into the jambs and running on a floor rail under a hinged board. There are pedimented overdoors to the 1st floor rooms, with slightly later ones to the rear rooms. The SE bedroom is the most elaborate with light grey marble fire surround with moulded architrave and scrolled brackets to shelf. Plainer marble surround in NE room. OS 25" of 1879 marks it as Hillfield House. Until recently called Knights Hill. A little altered Regency house with many interior features of high quality.

Listing NGR: TL4843014996


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160789

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing