STABLES AT BRAYFORDBURY 220 METRES TO WEST SOUTH WEST OF MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101716

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: STABLES AT BRAYFORDBURY 220 METRES TO WEST SOUTH WEST OF MANSION, LOWER HATFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES AT BRAYFORDBURY 220 METRES TO WEST SOUTH WEST OF MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101716 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:35:48.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLES AT BRAYFORDBURY 220 METRES TO WEST SOUTH WEST OF MANSION, LOWER HATFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bayford

National Grid Reference: TL 31369 10387

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31 SW BAYFORD LOWER HATFIELD ROAD (South side)

1/28 Stables at Bayfordbury 24.11.66 220M to WSW of mansion (formerly listed as Stables at GV Bayfordbury)

II

Stables. Circa 1812 for William Baker II MP probably to designs by Francis Aldhouse when former stable pavillion was taken into domestic use at Bayfordbury. White brick (actually shades of salmon and yellow), uncoursed knapped flint panels in screen wall, and low-pitched hipped roof of graduated slates. A square stone paved courtyard surrounded on N, E and S by 2-storeys uniform buildings and on W by a 2M high wall with 6 wide flint-panelled piers carried higher with stone copings and wrought iron gate in narrow central entrance between 2 piers. W side of E range has entrance carriageway at N, 4 pairs of double doors in segmental arched recesses for coach/carriage houses, and round arched entrance to stair to upper floor. 1st floor has central circular blind recess and 3 recessed sash windows to each side with 8/8 panes. Round arched recesses to N and S wings with small-panes windows and flush-bead panelled doors to stables on N and stable cottages on S. More normal fenestration for cottages on S side of S wing. Formal W front to rose garden has flint panels in screen wall, large round headed recess between corner pilasters to W ends of N and S ranges, and false 8/8 panes recessed sash windows central on 1st floor above. (Sources as for Bayfordbury q.v.).

Listing NGR: TL3136910387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160636

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 90 91
'Country Life' in 24 January, (1925)
'Country Life' in 17 January, (1925), 92-99
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 50 51
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

End of official listing