ASHENDENE, ASHENDENE EAST WING, AND ASHENDENE WEST WING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101717
Date first listed:
20-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
ASHENDENE, ASHENDENE EAST WING, AND ASHENDENE WEST WING, WHITE STUBBS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHENDENE, ASHENDENE EAST WING, AND ASHENDENE WEST WING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 16:45:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASHENDENE, ASHENDENE EAST WING, AND ASHENDENE WEST WING, WHITE STUBBS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bayford
National Grid Reference:
TL 30293 06804

Details

TL 30 NW BAYFORD WHITE STUBBS LANE (South side)

3/33 Ashendene,Ashendene East - Wing,and Ashendene West Wing

- II

Country house-now sub-divided. By J H Wallis 1887-90 on land purchased 1875. Said to be for L S Carlisle and connected with Ponsbourne Park estate. Initials 'JWC 1887' on hood of entrance porch. Builder, Norris of Hertford. Red brick with elaborately moulded work, red tilehung upper floor, steep red tile roofs with white painted woodworks to bargeboards, gables, dormers, and turrets. A large irregular 2-storeys and attics house in imaginative, post-Shaw, 'Olde English' style with very good detailing and massing. Very decorative with intact features and conservatory. Tall chimneys with pilaster strips. Entrance by elaborate Canopied porch on N with lower service wing to E. Main front looks S over open Country.

Listing NGR: TL3029306804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160640
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02145/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sam Klok. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].