SEWARDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101718
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
SEWARDS, BRICKENDON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEWARDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 00:37:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEWARDS, BRICKENDON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Brickendon Liberty
National Grid Reference:
TL 32804 08783

Details

TL 30 NW BRICKENDON LIBERTY BRICKENDON LANE (East side)

3/39 Sewards 24.11.66 (formerly listed as Sewards Farmhouse and under Edwards - II Green)

House. 1699, renovated 1901 for Pearson family estate ('1699/ERP/1901' on rainwater head). Red brick with black headers in Flemish-bond, and old red tile roof of 2 parallel ridges. Lead roofed glazed square timber cupola on centre of roof. 2-storeys, attics and cellar, double-pile, end chimneys, central entrance plan house set in own grounds facing W with low extensions at rear and SE. Symmetrical W front has 5 windows to 1st floor, corresponding windows on ground floor but central entrance. Box eaves, plat-band, plastered plinth, heavy oak frames and metal casements to leaded 2-lights windows, with segmental arches on ground floor. 6-panels fielded oak door in gabled timber porch up 4 steps. Built up brick coping to gable parapets, 2 very large projecting S gable chimneys with many tiled offsets and decorative terracotta pots. Smaller external gable chimney at N. Attics lit by gable chimneys. Ogee cup and ball finial to central cupola providing top light to stair. Interior, has bolection moulded panelling, cornice and dado in ground floor front room with late C18 cast iron hob grate. Exposed beam and fire lintel in other front room. Cased beams on 1st floor and similar hob grate.

Listing NGR: TL3280408783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160646
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].