This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1101724

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Westbury-on-Severn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354296

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 SW WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN WESTBURY VILLAGE

11/215 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

GV II*

Large parish church: early C14, restored 1862 and 1878. North facade thin, roughly squared grey stone brought to courses, larger, squared stone to quoins, ashlar to windows, south and most of west faces smooth reddish render lined as ashlar, chancel south and east well-squared stone approaching ashlar: roof late C20 machine-made red clay tile. Nave, aisles, north and south porches, chancel, organ chamber and vestry: tower detached (q.v.). North facade: high porch in centre of unbuttressed aisle: chamfered, 2-centred archway, with hoodmould: wrought-iron gates, 2 rails at about 1 metre up, St. Andrews cross between, spiral dog bars with spearheads. Top rail follows arch with another to nearly similar line below: main bars with spear and volute heads. To right of porch one 2-light window, trefoil heads to lights, solid stone panel to flat hoodmould. To left one similar 3-light window and one 3-light with flying ogee heads to lights below pointed head. Gable parapets to porch, aisle, nave and chancel with cross-gablet apex with stone cross to each: only porch has projecting moulded kneelers. 2-bay chancel with large, central buttress: 2-light windows with cinquefoil ogee heads to lights, quatrefoil over, and hoodmould. West face, 3 gables, square-set buttress to nave only, with splayed plinth. Ridges and windows to aisles offset towards centre: windows 2-light, ogee heads, with recessed spandrels to flat hoodmould. Nave wide 2-centred moulded doorway with hoodmould and double boarded doors with applied timber tracery. Above a flat cinquefoiled ogee-headed niche containing a calvary: 3-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould above. Interior plastered: 7-bay nave arcade, alternate octagonal and lobed pillars, with moulded caps and bases: hoodmoulds to plain moulded arches, with small carved heads as stops. Quatrefoil clerestory windows in alternate bays. Archbraced collar trusses off corbels, crown post but no longitudinal timber. Aisles exposed collar rafters; scissor-braced trusses to chancel, all roofs C19. Tall Early English style arch to chancel, with leaf capitals: similar on south and from south aisle to organ chamber. Old cross-boarded door to vestry. 8-lobed piscina reset in south chancel window sill. Carved reredos (1878) stone and alabaster extended as blind arcading across east wall: aumbry to match on left. Plain 6-sided 1862 stone pulpit, blind quatrefoils above plinth: octagonal C19 stone font, with crosses, symbols of evangelists and dove on bowl, over trefoil-headed blind arcading on stem. An older octagonal stone bowl set on octagonal stem dated 1583, with royal arms, on a splayed base. A number of good C18 and early C19 wall monuments in chancel and at west end of aisles, including one to T. Sinderby with violin and score in white marble by J. Pearce of Frampton. 1686 monument in north porch, and benefactions board. A number of good late C17 and C18 headstones in churchyard not separately listed. Church restored 1862 by Medland and Maberley, 1864 and 1876-78. (Victoria County History, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: SO7171513886

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 71717 13886

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 07:06:38.

End of official listing