This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AMWELL GROVE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AMWELL GROVE

List entry Number: 1101799

Location

AMWELL GROVE, CAUTHELY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Amwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355820

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT AMWELL CAUTHERLY LANE TL 3712 (west side) Great Amwell village 2/7 Amwell Grove

4.12.51

GV II

1795-7 by Robert Mylne (1733-1811) for himself; heightened and extended in early C19, rear (S) part c1900. Yellow brick with stucco bands at sill level on 1st and 2nd floors. Hipped tiled roofs. A tall 3-storeys and basement house with 2-storeys wings set back, facing N. Symmetrical 3-windows N front with recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes. 4-panel half-glazed door central with projecting pedimented porch up steps with 2 Composite columns. Originally of 2-storeys above the basement with single storey wings set back, the upper stucco band with billet moulding formerly marked a parapet which was swept up to single-flue chimneys at each corner, for the bedrooms. This eccentric feature has been disguised by the C19 heightening of main block and wings. The addition of a 2-storeys canted bay in the E, a rear extension over part of the service yard, internal reorganisation and the addition of a rear conservatory enlarged Mylne's very small house. Early in the present century the conservatory has been replaced by a 2-storeys range with Greek Doric portico in antis. (Country Life 30 September 1954 and 13 June 1952: Pevsner (1977) 150: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3708612597

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 150
'Country Life' in 13 June, (1952)
'Country Life' in 30 September, (1954)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 37086 12597

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101799 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 06:47:58.

End of official listing