WYDDIAL BURY AND ATTACHED RANGE OF ORNAMENTAL FARM BUILDINGS FACING THE CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101813
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
WYDDIAL BURY AND ATTACHED RANGE OF ORNAMENTAL FARM BUILDINGS FACING THE CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYDDIAL BURY AND ATTACHED RANGE OF ORNAMENTAL FARM BUILDINGS FACING THE CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:41:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
WYDDIAL BURY AND ATTACHED RANGE OF ORNAMENTAL FARM BUILDINGS FACING THE CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wyddial
National Grid Reference:
TL 37443 31736

Details

TL 3731 WYDDIAL WYDDIAL (South side)

10/154 Wyddial Bury and attached 22.2.67 (Bury only) range of ornamental farm buildings facing the church

GV II

House with attached range of ornamental farm buildings. Early-mid C16 N wing of house, c.1600 S range, late C17 S extension (? brewhouse), C19 S end, mid C19 brick facing to N and W parts, small W wing added to S range, and ornamental chimneys. Range of farm buildings attached to E end of N wing 1867 for Heaton-Ellis family (stone shield with 2 badges in relief and 'E HE 1867' on N side). House timber frame roughcast on E and N but frame of brewhouse exposed on W. Red brick with white dressings polychrome facing to W side of house but painted brick below. Jetty on N. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys continuous jetty, internal-chimney, 3 cells plan house originally facing N onto road with cross passage probably on W side of stack and service room beyond hall at E. Internal-chimney, 1½ storeys, S kitchen range added at rear with an unheated room S of stack. 3-bays tall brewhouse added to S end now with single-storey brick building with S gable chimney beyond, and 2 catslide-roofed extensions on E side of brewhouse of varied projection. Entrance from E into N end of S range and later gabled porch and 2-storeys window added on E. N front jettied with 2 2-light flush casement windows to 1st floor, corresponding windows with chamfered jambs in ground floor, and 3 small single windows. Brick W front has lozenge decoration and quoins in white brick with 2 2-storeys gabled projections, cusped bargeboards with pendants, and 2-light recessed casement windows with chamfered openings and labels over. Tall cruciform central chimney with octagonal shafts. C19 casement windows in E with plank door and 8/8 sash window to dormer. Decorative farm buildings of white brick with red brick bands, quoins, diaper decoration and eaves corbels under a steep slate roof. A long single-storey J-shaped range alongside the road facing S into yard but decorated on N facing the church. Wall panelled with offset plinth and pilasters, broken by gabled carriageway near W end and 2 gabled bays. Buttressed matching granary terminates range to E. House appears to have been extended into N end of range. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3744331736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160375
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08803/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael S. Breedon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].