This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD SWAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD SWAN

List entry Number: 1101816

Location

THE OLD SWAN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hormead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160296

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3929 HORMEAD HARE STREET (West side)

12/75 The Old Swan 22.2.67 (formerly listed as Old Swan Cottage

GV II

House. Early C16 open hall house with 2 crosswings, hall floored over and chimney inserted in late C16, as Inn c.1600-1909. Timber frame on black stucco sill, plastered with weatherboarded Ground Floor at N end. Steep old red tile roofs. Attached single storey outhouses at rear NW timber framed, weatherboarded with steep tiled roofs. A large 2-storeys and cellar H-plan medieval house facing E. The frontage has jettied upper floors with gables to each crosswing and a gabled dormer to the hall range between 3-light flush casement windows to gables and 2-light to dormer. 3 small early C19 canted oriel windows to Ground Floor. 4-panel doors beside S wing and at N corner of N wing the latter next a C19 shop window. Original cross passage in N wing but plan reversed when chimney built in lower bay of hall. Early C18 parlour fireplace blocked passage left behind old chimney and staircase behind serving cellar and upper floors required a rear lean-to passage for communication between ends of house. Hall of 2 equal bays with one almost flat tie-beam to the open truss with remains of small curved braces. Clasped purlin roof. Moulded lintol to late C16 open fireplace in hall. (RCHM (1911)103 no.9: VCH (1914)69: RCHM Typescript: Jackson (1983)18).

Listing NGR: TL3901129412

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 69
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 39011 29412

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101816 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:38:19.

End of official listing