Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101829.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 04:52:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 40287 30036


TL 4030 HORMEAD HORMEAD DANE (South side) Great Hormead

11/105 Judds 22.2.67


House. W crosswing c.1500, hall range and rear wing late C16 or early C17, renovated 1724 (date panel on plaster front). Timber frame on brick sill, panelled fan pargetting and steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys T-plan, 3-cells, internal chimney, lobby entry plan house facing N with entrance moved to E, and 1 1/2 storeys rear wing with half-hipped roof. C18 gable chimney inserted in rear wing. 6 steps to C20 door on W end with flat hood on posts. N front has jettied gabled crosswing on W with curved braces to jetty. Small window beside chimney at junction with wing at site of former door with diamond date plaque over. 2 windows to left with a door between. 2- and 3-light flush casement windows. 6-panel door with flat hood on shaped brackets. 2 bays of crosswing formerly entered separately by twin doors from cross-passage on site of later chimney. Mortices for partition in beam and heavy flat joists in wing. Chimney originally heated hall only. Later fireplace for service end in W wing. Rear wing of unusual construction. Curved tension braces in S gable. 2 bays, with bar-stop to chamfer of cross-beam with ogee jowls on posts. Head of each post linked to floor beam by heavy inclined strut to avoid need for a tie-beam. In front range floor over hall carried on a crossbeam, but an axial beam in E bay, suggesting possible stages in flooring. Notable lack of heated rooms originally in a house of this size. C19 main staircase in E part of main range may have replaced an earlier one there. Andrew Judd recorded as owner in 1544. (RCHM Typescript: Jackson (1983)16).

Listing NGR: TL4028730036


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].