Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 08:05:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 39992 29566


TL 3929 & TL 4029 HORMEAD HORSESHOE LANE (West side)

12/121 & 13/121 Church of St. Nicholas 22.2.67 (C of E)


Parish church. Nave C13 or earlier, late C13 3-bay N aisle and arcade, early C14 4-bay S aisle and nave and N aisle lengthened by a W bay, later C14 W tower built over W bay of nave and aisles shortened, C15 top to tower and nave clerestory. Restored 1872-4 by A.W. Blomfield with chancel, chancel arch, S organ chamber and south porch rebuilt. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Roofs part metal, part old red tile. A village church with square ended chancel, clerestoryed nave of 3 bays and aisles all with parapets, south porch and organ chamber and an embattled W tower with pyramidial tile roof and diagonal buttresses. Chancel has encaustic and glazed tile pavement at alter and fleur-de-lis tiled E rear wall with carved reredos recessed below E window. 3-bay open timber roof, arched braced principals and wind braces. Aumbry in S wall next alter. Small cartouche painted with 3 hop plants set over door to organ chamber. Wall monument in white and grey marble c.1815 by Kendrick of a Grecian sarcophagus with word Waterloo in an oval wreath to Lt-Col Stables. Tall nave has late C13 N arcade with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded caps and bases. Respond replaced by a C19 column and short length of wall at E pierced by a narrow C19 arch. At W end of arcade are 2 responds back-to-back, the W one to an arch added when S arcade and aisle was built and lost when tower was built. S arcade early C14 with 2-centred arches, octagonal columns with moulded caps and bases, also with C19 narrow arch at E end but springing of original 4th bay at W end. 3 clerestory openings each side with 2-light trefoil headed windows. Six carved head corbels support wall posts of former open timber roof now sealed between tie-beams. N aisle has N door, 4 windows on N, a 3-light E window, screened off vestry at W (1974) and a recessed brass wall plate 1696 to William Delawood of London recording a bequest. S aisle has C15 S door, 3 S windows and C19 arch into organ chamber at E. Grotesque head corbels support the aisle roofs, low pitched with moulded principals, purlins, cornices and traceried brackets off wallposts. 3-stage W tower with wide late C14 tower arch of 3 chamfered orders with 3 engaged jamb shafts separated by hollows, W window, heavy moulded beams, embattled wallplates, and circular bell opening over lower stage. Louvred 2-light openings on each face of top stage. Font late C12 a plain octagonal basin chamfered top and bottom set on a thick circular stem encircled by 8 plain circular shafts. Wall monument at W end of S aisle to William Brand 1746/7 in white and black marble, a swagged tablet with Ionic 3/4 columns supporting an entablature with wreathed achievement over. (RCHM (1911)102: VCH (1914)72-3: Kelly (1914)165: Pevsner (1977)152).

Listing NGR: TL3999229566


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 72-3
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 152
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 165
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/05000/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].