WIDFORDBURY FARM AND WIDFORDBURY HOUSE ON WEST OF CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101925

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Statutory Address: WIDFORDBURY FARM AND WIDFORDBURY HOUSE ON WEST OF CHURCHYARD, WARE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WIDFORDBURY FARM AND WIDFORDBURY HOUSE ON WEST OF CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:19:10.

Location

Statutory Address: WIDFORDBURY FARM AND WIDFORDBURY HOUSE ON WEST OF CHURCHYARD, WARE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Widford

National Grid Reference: TL 41280 15826

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4115 WIDFORD WARE ROAD (north side)

5/1 Widfordbury Farm and Widfordbury House 4.12.51 on W of churchyard GV II

House, now 2 houses. Cl7 or earlier. Timberframed and roughcast with brick casing to lower floor-at front. Steep old red tiled gabled roofs. 2 storeys and cellar L-shaped house now divided with 1 storey C18/C19 brick and tile kitchen extension on W. 4 windows main range (Widfordbury Farm) lies E-W facing S. Modern casements and 2 storeys canted bay and tilehung apron. E wing (Widfordbury House) is higher, hipped to N end, and has early C19 flush sash windows with 8/8 panes on S and W, moulded cusped bargeboard and 4-panelled door with moulded architrave and flat hood on shaped brackets, probable jetty on S end underbuilt in colourwash brick. Large projecting side chimney to E wing. Modern panelled door central under flat hood. Rear of main block has a 2 storeys projecting brick gable with chimney and floorband. Also lean-to extension with very tall buttress chimney. Old doorway in E wall of E wing at cellar level reported by RCHM (1911) 241. Widfordbury is the manorial centre owned by Bermondsey Abbey up to the Dissolution and was leased to the Adam family in 1548 as a farm (HLHS (1979) 30). An historic timberframed house at the manorial centre. Part of a picturesque group with its farm buildings and the church in this part of the Conservation Area. An important landscape feature with the church when viewed across the Ash Valley from the N.

Listing NGR: TL4128015826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160043

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing