This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GATE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GATE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1101946

Location

THE GATE HOUSE, HUNSDONBURY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hunsdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159993

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4113 HUNSDON HUNSDONBURY (west side)

8/21 The Gate House

-

GV II

Wing of house, now a separate house. 1832 by Kemp for Revd Nicolsen Robert Calvert (inscription in cellar noted by Gibbs (1915) 22). 2 storeys, attic and basement white brick Gothic house facing N. formerly part of Hunsdonbury nearby to S. Steep gabled tile roofs with stucco gabled dormers, heavy stucco moulding to gable and eaves parapets. Raised stucco surrounds to openings with square-headed moulded labels and boldly modelled heads as finials. Front faces N with 2 windows. Central door with fanlight and large chimney breaking up from moulded parapet with quatrefoil shield panel and 3 octagonal chimneys over with plaster base, brown brick shafts and caps in the form of panelled fonts. Flemish bond. 3-light wooden casement windows with pointed lights. 6-pane studded door. Gabled wing set back at left with 5-light moulded mullioned window with pointed leads to lights on Ground floor and 3-light window on 1st floor. 3 shaft side chimney similar to other. Short lower rear wing and modern square conservatory in the angle. An interesting early C19 Gothic building. Part of group with Hunsdonbury to S, of which it formerly was a part.

Listing NGR: TL4144713107

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 41381 13054

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:18:50.

End of official listing