PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND) 3/4 MILE SOUTH OF VILLAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1101973
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND) 3/4 MILE SOUTH OF VILLAGE, EASTWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND) 3/4 MILE SOUTH OF VILLAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jun-2019 at 19:25:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND) 3/4 MILE SOUTH OF VILLAGE, EASTWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hunsdon
National Grid Reference:
TL 41815 12710

Details

TL 41 SW HUNSDON EASTWICK ROAD (east side)

2/8 Parish Church of St Dunstan (C of E) 24.1.67 (formerly listed as Church of St Dunstan) 3/4 mile S of village

GV I

Parish Church. Early C14 unaisled church of flint rubble with stone dressings and old red tile roofs. W tower, shingled spire and timber N porch of early C15. Church renovated, reroofed and N chapel and E part of chancel built in brick c1450 by Sir William Oldhall when building Hunsdon House. S chapel also in brick 1603-17 by 3rd Lord Hunsdon. restored 1830: reseated 1851: conservatively restored by Philip Webb 1871-2. Reset early C14 window in N chapel. 4-bay original C15 nave roof, single-framed of scissor braced rafters, collars and ashlar pieces. Similar roofs to N chapel and chancel (boarded). Rood stair on N. Perpendicular octagonal font. Lower part of C15 screen. C16 recessed wall monument and fine tomb chest to Sir Thomas Forster d1612 and brass to Margaret Shelley d1495 on chancel N wall. Unique C16 brass of park-keeper. Early C17 hexagonal pulpit with sounding board. Splendid alabaster monument to Sir John Carey c1616 in S chapel possibly by Colt (Pevsner), with iron railings. Fine mural monuments to Jane Chester d1736, Felix Calvert d1713 and Robert Chester d1732. Early C17 family pews in S chapel and panelling in nave. A fine late medieval parish church with the oldest timber N porch in the county, an elaborate Jacobean screen to S chapel, the best example in the county (Pevsner), 2 early C17 monuments of the highest sculptural quality of their time (Pevsner), early brickwork and timber roofs, and fine C18 mural monuments, all of outstanding interest. Part of a group with the contemporary Hunsdon House nearby. An important landscape feature. (EHAS Trans (1902) 46-56: RCHM (1911) 127-8: VCH (1912) 329-31: Gibbs (1915) 29-35: Pevsner (1977) 210-12).

Listing NGR: TL4181512710

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159950
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 329-31
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 210-12
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, (1902), 46-56
Other
Gibbs, (1915)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].