FOX AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE OPPOSITE THE POST OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101981

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: FOX AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE OPPOSITE THE POST OFFICE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOX AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE OPPOSITE THE POST OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:23:38.

Location

Statutory Address: FOX AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE OPPOSITE THE POST OFFICE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hunsdon

National Grid Reference: TL 41676 14044

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4114 HUNSDON HIGH STREET (east side) Hunsdon village

7/14 Fox and Hounds PH opposite the - Post Office

GV II

House, now a PH. C17, altered and E range rebuilt in early C18, windows altered in early C19, single storey extension to SE in later C19. Large, L-shaped, 2 storeys and attics, timberframed plastered house facing N. Steep old red tiled roof, gabled at W but E range hipped. Single storey grey brick extension at SE with parallel hipped slate roofs. Stair tower at rear in the angle of the wings in line with the large central chimney of the front range. Formal 3 windows N front with 2 flat-topped dormers with sash windows, coved eaves, plain margins around windows, flush sashes with moulded architraves and 6/6 panes. Central half-glazed door has a moulded architrave, swelled frieze and cornice to the flat hood carried on 2 slender Tuscan columns on high plinths and 2 half column responds. Ground floor has triple sash windows with 2/2:6/6:2/2 panes. Bar door to right in moulded doorcase with flat hood on shaped brackets. Symmetrical E front to garden with similar sash windows with 6/6 panes and central door. SE brick extension has segmental arches and sash windows with margin lights. Interior has early C18 cornice to main Ground floor rooms and a good bolection moulded marble fire surround (?re-used) in the SE extension. C19 sash windows have moulded panelled shutters included within the internal architrave. Probably the site of Hykmans, freehold in 1532: doctor's house: became a pub in 1830s when landowner demolished another public house (HLHS (1979) 37). Tithe Award of 1843 signed at a meeting at the Fox and Hounds (HRO). A large C17 timberframed plastered house with a wide early C18 cross wing and surviving features of special interest. Part of a picturesque group in the village Conservation Area.

Listing NGR: TL4167614044

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159975

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing