VILLAGE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101984
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
47, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
VILLAGE HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VILLAGE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:16:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
47, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
VILLAGE HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hunsdon
National Grid Reference:
TL 41746 14124

Details

TL 4114 HUNSDON HIGH STREET (west side) Hunsdon village

7/23 No 43, Village Hall and No 47 (Formerly 24.1.67 listed as Village Hall) opposite Acorn Street

GV II

School, now village hall and 2 houses adjoining. Early C18, incorporating possibly older part at rear, altered to present appearance in early C19. Timberframed plastered symmetrical cross-shaped building with steep red tiled roofs, facing S. 2 2- storeys hipped roof domestic wings flank a higher single storey former schoolroom with jettied half-timbered gable end to street. It became the Village Hall c1924 and was extended to the rear in red brick incorporating the old brick walls of a lower building. Modern low rear extension not of special interest. The lefthand wing, No 43, is now a separate house: No 47 on the right is the caretaker's house. These wings each have a 3-light wooden casement window on each floor, a side entrance with C19 flush panelled door, and a large red brick rectangular central chimney through the ridge at the junction with the hall, topped by 2 tall grey brick C19 octagonal shafts with ornamental caps and bases. Each has 1 main room on each floor with stair and lobby on the side wall, but a shallow 2 storeys C19 rear extension under a continuation of the main roof gives more space. At No 43, this is timberframed and weatherboarded but at No 47 (the former teacher's house) in grey brick. The lofty schoolroom is probably little-changed from the single room 'of fair size' noted by the Schools Inspector in 1855 (HLHS (1979) 55). It has a 6-bay arc-hbraced collar roof carried on simple corbels. The lower part of the front wall with its central doorway are probably early C18. The wide doorway has a shortened panelled canopy carried on enriched console brackets and a moulded dentilled cornice with enriched mouldings. Early C19 reeded pilasters have been added and a small rectangular window each side with a small-paned cast iron casement. there is an C18 ovolo moulded door with raised and fielded panels, between schoolroom and teacher's house. The present jettied gable wall with a striking pattern of exposed timbers, a large mullioned and transomed leaded central window, cusped bargeboard and roll moulded bressumer was probably an alteration of c1837 (date on the chimney of No 41) when a larger composition with jettied pavilions to right and left was formed, linked by high plastered screen walls to the cruciform central block. The jetty has long been supported on 4 wooden posts. By 1846, the school had joined the Church of England National Society and remained a National (Church) School up to 1924 (HLHS (1979) 55). An historic C18 estate school altered as the centrepiece of a symmetrical Gothic group in the early C19 and still in public use. The centrepiece of the village Conservation Area.

Listing NGR: TL4174614124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159984
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05151/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].