296, NORTON WAY SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1102002
Date first listed:
07-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
296, NORTON WAY SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of 296, NORTON WAY SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:37:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
296, NORTON WAY SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Letchworth Garden City
National Grid Reference:
TL 22126 32389

Details

NORTON WAY SOUTH 1. 5255 (east side) No 296 TL 2232 9/85 II* 2. 1906-7 by B Parker. Office designed in an East Anglian vernacular manner for the Parker and Unwin firm. Originally planned to be double the present size with a drawing office and private suite as a 'mirror image' of the present building. The original scheme, however, was modified when Unwin left Letchworth in 1906. Two bay hall (former drawing office) with solar wing (partner's office) at north end giving an L-shaped plan. One and a half storeys. Thatched roof with decorative ridge and brick stack. Half hipped solar wing. Roughcast walls. Two, three and four light windows (oriel windows at rear with transoms) with artificial stone surrounds, leaded lights and thatch eyebrows. Recessed entrance with double doors. Hall/studio with painted brick walls and open timber roof. Office/solar with copper-hooded, arched fireplace and cruciform window with stained glass by Hesman of Harpenden. An extension was added in 1937 by B Parker in similar style at the south end; a further addition was made in 1976 for the Garden City Museum.

Listing NGR: TL2212632389

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161892
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03132/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].