Wynne's Almhouses

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102110
Date first listed:
08-Nov-1949
Statutory Address:
Wynne's Almhouses, 32-42, High Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wynne's Almhouses
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 12:18:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
Wynne's Almhouses, 32-42, High Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 24562 33701

Details

TL 2433 NE 2/17

HIGH STREET (South West Side) Nos 32 to 42 (even) (Wynne's Almhouses)

8.11.49

GV II Dated 1621 on stone tablet over entrance recording foundation of these almshouses by London merchant John Wynne. Red brick, stone dressed. Steeply pitched tiled roof with six gabled dormers and three tall chimneystacks with restored shafts, original footings of narrow bricks. One storey and attics, six mullioned triple light casement windows. Each dwelling has arched doorway in gabled closed porch. Bargeboards to gables of porches and dormers. Dripmoulds over windows. Imposts and keyblocks to doorways.

The Council Buildings, Nos 6, 6A, 8, 10, 10A, 12, 14, 14A, 14B, 14C, 16, 20, 24, 24A, 26, 32 to 42 (even), Gateway and Wall in front of Wynne's Almhouses. Nos 46, 46A and 48 to 52 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: TL2456233701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161653
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 66
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01798/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].