NORTH WESTERN BLOCK AT THE BRITISH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102129

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jun-1999

Statutory Address: NORTH WESTERN BLOCK AT THE BRITISH SCHOOL, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH WESTERN BLOCK AT THE BRITISH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:45:49.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTH WESTERN BLOCK AT THE BRITISH SCHOOL, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 18618 28883

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1828 NE QUEEN STREET (South-east side) 834/3/334 North-western block at the 6.6.1975 British School

GV II

Former girls and infants schools. 1857-8. Red brick in Flemish bond, Welsh slate roof. 2-storeys 3 x 12 bays in dignified classical style. First floor band; modillion brick cornice. Road elevation has open pediment with date stone and circular window in tympanium, 3 narrow round-arched windows to 1st floor having 10-pane sashes and key blocks. On ground floor, central projection with 2 stone steps up to 6 panel double door with fanlight below keyed round arch, flanking 6-pane sashes; entablature. Right return of 4:3:5 bays, centre projecting slightly and pedimented. Central doorway with bracketed cornice; end doorway on right. Windows are 16-pane sashes, with 12-pane sashes to centre, and to 1st floor of centre a 12-pane, sash flanked by 8-pane sashes. HISTORY: Part of the school which was founded originally in 1810 by William Wiltshire, a Hitchin lawyer.



Listing NGR: TL1861828883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161595

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing