FORMER CORN EXCHANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102132

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: FORMER CORN EXCHANGE, 32, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CORN EXCHANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 20:32:57.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CORN EXCHANGE, 32, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 18362 29082

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added; MARKET PLACE TL 1829 SW 1/339 (West side) No 32 (Former Corn Exchange) II GV

Corn exchange. 1853. Red brick with stucco facade; Welsh slate roofs. Corn exchange hall built to rear of offices to front. Two-storey facade in Mannerist Classical style. Two large ground-floor windows with glazing bars, are flanked by Tuscan half-columns; central door architrave, with chamfered jambs and projecting keyblock, is set in wide Tuscan pilaster; Tuscan end pilasters to carved brackets flanking plain frieze with egg-and-dart cornice. Rusticated quoin strips to moulded parapet shaped over central Venetian window with margin- light sashes; fielded infill panels. Facade crowned by elaborate timber bell cupola. Hall to rear has panelled door with decorative fanlight, and plate glass to glazed clerestorey and lantern. Interior: stick-baluster staircase to front. Vestibule to left of hall lit by glazed dome. Hall has cast-iron columns to lattice girders and springing for wrought-iron roof of c.1895: sickle-girder trusses with semi-circular arched ribs set within upper tier of trusses to lantern. Clock to rear presented in 1853 by farmers attending market.

Listing NGR: TL1836229082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161604

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing