THE SUN HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1102139

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1951

Statutory Address: THE SUN HOTEL, 4, SUN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SUN HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:42:16.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SUN HOTEL, 4, SUN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 18419 28977

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5255 SUN STREET (East Side) No 4 (The Sun Hotel) TL 1828 NW 2/44 13.4.51. II* GV

2. Circa 1700. 3 storey building in blue bric, dressed with red. Moulded wooden eaves, recessed for every window-head, below steep hipped tile roof. Strings between floors. 9 windows in broad flush frames, the lower 2 storeys slightly curved, those in the ground floor protected by outside shutters of fielded panelling. Broad central carriage-way to yard behind. Braced strut of wrought iron for the inn sign ended with a painted bunch of grapes in wrought iron; now removed. Considerable buildings at the back of the inn present facades of half-timbering or of later, Georgian, construction. In particular, a large block contains an assembly room on the first floor beneath a hipped tile roof, three big C18 sashed windows open onto the courtyard and a single coved plaster cornice runs round the outer faces of this block. RCHM, page 120 (recording an earlier building of circa 1600 or earlier); VCH, page 5.

Nos 4 to 11 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: TL1841928977

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161531

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 5
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing