This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FARMHOUSE AT ROTTEN ROW FARM (ALONG TRACK 1100 METRES NORTH OF PELHAM ROAD)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AT ROTTEN ROW FARM (ALONG TRACK 1100 METRES NORTH OF PELHAM ROAD)

List entry Number: 1102272

Location

FARMHOUSE AT ROTTEN ROW FARM (ALONG TRACK 1100 METRES NORTH OF PELHAM ROAD), ROTTEN ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Braughing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161241

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Bozen Green TL 42 NW BRAUGHING ROTTEN ROW (east side)

3/4 Farmhouse at Rotten Row Farm 19.10.51 (along track 1100m N of Pelham Road)

GV II

House. Late medieval hall house, altered in each century after. Timber frame roughcast with steep pitched slate roof. Rear wing has old red tiles. 2-bay former open-hall plan house with 2- storeys crosswing at W end, of 2-bays. In late C16 hall partly floored. In early C17 wing extended to rear by 2 bays with large central chimney serving both parts, service rooms probably to W of hall demolished and large chimney built at W end of hall. In later C17 a NW wing built in the angle of the existing wings. In the early C18 a staircase was inserted opposite the now central front door and the front wall was heightened. The S front is of 2 storeys, 3-windows wide. Flush box sash windows with 8/8 panes, but 6/6 over door. Glazed door with small panes and fanlight under gabled glazed porch. 3-light casement windows to L-shaped wing on NE. Probably the manor house of Hotofts manor (VCH (1912) 308 and 314: RCHM (1911) 69: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4164827331

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 308
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 41648 27331

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:00:31.

End of official listing