THE OLD ROSE AND CROWN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1102331

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD ROSE AND CROWN, 13, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD ROSE AND CROWN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 09:43:49.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD ROSE AND CROWN, 13, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Braughing

National Grid Reference: TL 39584 25218

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Braughing village TL 3925 BRAUGHING CHURCH END (west side)

9/36 No 13 (The Old Rose and Crown) 22.2.67

GV II*

House. Mid C16, rear wing c1600. Timber frame, roughcast with panelled pargetting on the front and rings and lozenges in high relief between the upper windows. Steep pitched roofs, now slated. L-plan formed from a 3-unit, cross-passage house with continuous front jetty on E, to which a lower rear kitchen wing was added at the parlour end. N end service rooms originally axially divided, timber framed central chimney probably narrower than C17 brick central chimney, and large external chimney with crow-step decoration, and later conjoined hexagonal shafts serving the parlour and chamber over at the S end. Rear wing contains a stair, kitchen and a gable smoke-bay now with a later brick chimney. 2-storeys, 4 windows, jettied E front with small 3-light and 2-light Cl9 casement windows in flush frames with small panes. Large flat brackets below the jetty. Central chimney to rear of ridge. 4-panel door with fanlight. (RCHM (1911) 68: RCHM Typescript)

Listing NGR: TL3958425218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161179

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing