CHURCH OF ST MARY (C OF E)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1102348
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY (C OF E), HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY (C OF E)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102348 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 00:04:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY (C OF E), HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Standon
National Grid Reference:
TL 39649 22257

Details

Standon TL 39 22 STANDON HIGH STREET (east side)

7/15 Church of St Mary (C of E) 24.1.67 (Formerly listed under Standon Village) GV I

Parish church. C14 incorporating C13 chancel and font, with unusual C15 W-porch and detached SE belltower. C19 timber E porch and NE vestry. Restored 1864-5 by G & H Godwin. Flint walls with stone dressings and moulded string courses. Tiled nave roof. Slated chancel, S aisle and S porch; metal roofs to N aisle and small spire on tower. Coursed flint facing to church, and stucco to battlemented top stage of tower. Built on hillside with E end higher, sloping floors and steps at chancel arch and alter. Wide spacious interior, 5-bay arcades with clerestorey, Decorated windows with flowing tracery, ogee headed tomb recess in S aisle, and unusual piers with 4 attached semi-octagonal shafts and keel moulding in each angle. Fine C13 chancel arch of 3 orders with polished turned shafts (renewed in pink marble by Godwin), shaft rings, stiff-leaf capitals and dogtooth ornament to arch. Lancet windows in N and S walls of chancel and 3-light E-window C13 renewed. Polychrome Minton tiled reredos and floors in chancel. Unusual C13 octagonal font with 2 bands of stylized leaves carved in high relief around bowl. Cusped C19arcaded base. Rood stair in pier on S of chancel arch with upper opening. Piscine in opposite pier. Nand S doors,blocked and disused respectively. Stained glass in chancel: E window c1864 attributed to Clayton & Bell, N lancets by H Hughes 1874, S lancet c1870. Brasses: on N wall of chancel John Ruggewyn, lower part only, 1412; on tomb chest in N nave aisle John Feld and Son 1477. Wall monuments each side of alter to Sir Ralph' Sadleir d. 1587 and Sir Thomas Sadleir d. 1606 with recumbant figures on chests with weepers under arched canopies on Corinthian columns. London workmanship of high quality. Large medieval church of a decayed borough. Of outstanding interest for its chancel arch, font, arcaded nave, monuments, brasses, glass, and. the W porch and detached tower unique in the county. (RCHM (1910) 206-8: VCH (1912) 363-5: Pevsner (1977) 340-1).

Listing NGR: TL3964922257

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161115
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 363-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 340-1
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00628/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].