This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1102425

Location

THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Preston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162881

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1824 PRESTON THE GREEN (South side)

9/89 The Red Lion P.H. 26.8.81

GV II

2 houses, now a public house, circa 1700, recorded as sold 1710, E part mid C18, one property after 1793. Red brick darker with random blue headers in Flemish-bond and light red dressings and gauged arches to older part. Steep old red tile roof half-hipped at E end. Slate roof to C18 added rear lean-to. A 2-cells, 2-storeys, cellar and attics house facing N with later separate one cell E house. Original house has symmetrical N front with chamfered plinth, plat-band and wooden modillioned eaves cornice. Moulded brick corbels to ends of cornice. 3 windows long with central entrance. Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes and flat gauged arches. 4-panels flush beaded door in heavy frame with small rectangular fanlight, 2 steps, and flat hood. E part has plat-band, one 1st floor recessed sash window with flat arch. Half-glazed 4-panels flush-beaded door under cambered arch with canted bay window with casements to LH. Rear corner fireplace and SW chimney added to W room: external rear wall fireplace and chimney to E house. Difficult to determine original method of heating older house, probably a large internal central chimney with stair to rear, removed entirely and new stair put in later. Recorded as divided into 3 cottages in 1811. First recorded as selling beer in Piggotts Directory of 1832. Called The Lion by 1844 and subsequently The Red Lion. Sold at auction 1847 when described as having 2 sitting rooms, shop, tap room, kitchen, cellarage, and 5 bedrooms. (Inf Mrs. Nina Freebody).

Listing NGR: TL1803724707

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 18037 24707

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 02:01:15.

End of official listing