THE ELMS INCLUDING FORMER BARN RANGE LINKED TO EAST END

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102468

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Statutory Address: THE ELMS INCLUDING FORMER BARN RANGE LINKED TO EAST END, STEVENAGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ELMS INCLUDING FORMER BARN RANGE LINKED TO EAST END
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 07:18:37.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ELMS INCLUDING FORMER BARN RANGE LINKED TO EAST END, STEVENAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wymondley

National Grid Reference: TL 21408 27455

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYMONDLEY STEVENAGE ROAD TL 2127 (North side) Little Wymondley

11/166 The Elms including 27.5.68 former barn range linked to E end

GV II

Farmhouse and barn, now all one house. C16, used by maltsters from 1695, C18 W wing, altered and linked to barn on E during C19 or early C20. Timber frame house and barn, red and black brick W wing and casing to ground floor of timber frame. Roughcast upper part. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys, internal-chimney plan house, set back, with its S gable towards the road, lower barn range almost parallel to E linked by single-storey part at its N end, and 2-storeys and attics W wing with present entrance facing S. Large internal stack of old house has shafts set in diagonal cruciform pattern above massive base. External large W gable chimney to W wing. S front has a gabled dormer on the roofslope, moulded eaves cornice, plat band, roof of W wing extended to engage the S end of the old house. This end has a treble sash window to 1st floor above a canted sashed bay window. 3 windows to each floor of W wing. Flush-box sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6 panes. Recessed 6-panels door with flush beaded panels. Cambered head in wooden doorcase with pilasters, full entablature, and moulded dripboard. E side of old house has flush casement windows with leaded glazing. Barn on E may have had floor inserted c.1695 for use as malting or malt store. Its long E wall has exposed timbers, with close-studding over a plastered brick base. Red brick infill panels, painted below the eaves. Internal lateral chimney to rear part. (inf Mr. Farris).

Listing NGR: TL2140827455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162778

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing