FAIRCLOUGH HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102489

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: FAIRCLOUGH HALL FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FAIRCLOUGH HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 01:00:05.

Location

Statutory Address: FAIRCLOUGH HALL FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Weston

National Grid Reference: TL 27737 28973

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON HALLS GREEN TL 22 NE (East side)

5/119 Fairclough Hall Farmhouse 27.5.68 (formerly listed as Faircloth Hall)

GV II

Farmhouse. C17 or earlier, brick cased and altered in C18/C19. Timber frame roughcast. Chequered red and blue brick ground floor at rear. Steep old red tile roofs, S wing half-hipped at E. A 2-storeys, L-shaped house at W of farmyard facing W with slightly higher S wing. An internal chimney, 3-cells, lobby-entry plan with large external N gable chimney with 2 diagonally set square shafts and crow-step decoration to parlour and chamber over on left of lobby entry. Rear entrance next angle of wings possibly marks the line of an earlier cross-entry to lower end of hall. 2 large projecting chimneys to S side of crosswing, and further internal chimney at junction of wings. W front has 4 windows to ground floor, 2 to 1st floor and entrance a third from N end opposite chimney. 4-lights flush casement windows flank the gabled open timber porch to the half-glazed 6-panels door. 3-lights windows to 1st floor. 3 casement windows to 1st floor and 2 to ground floor on S side and small porch to entrance next LH corner. Panelled room on 1st floor at W, RCHM noted c.1909 that large open fireplaces to internal stack had been infilled, cambered tie-beams on 1st floor, and 2 doors made of early C17 oak panelling with contemporary hinges. Then called Hall Green Farm formerly Faircloth Hall after family of Fairclough owners in 1461 and up to 1634. (RCHM (1911)175: VCH (1912)237).

Listing NGR: TL2773728973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162731

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 237
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing