HOWELLS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102490

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: HOWELLS FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOWELLS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 02:26:54.

Location

Statutory Address: HOWELLS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Weston

National Grid Reference: TL 27846 28088

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON HALLS GREEN TL 22 NE 5/122 Howells Farmhouse - GV II

Manor house, a farmhouse from late C17 to 1970s, now a private house. Late medieval front range was a W crosswing to a former open hall extending to E, probably demolished in late C17 when SW parlour wing was added, E range extended a little to S to same line as new parlour, and short dairy wing added at NW. This wing extended for (?) brewhouse in early C18 when staircase built between the 2 rear wings, and interior adapted to plan of a new-built house of the period. Kitchen built at N end of E range C18 or C19. House carefully restored c.1970, W wing c.1975. Timber frame, roughcast and lined as ashlar with steep old red tile roofs. A large 2-storeys house set W side of large former farmyard facing E, with lean-to kitchen at N end. E front has symmetrical arrangement of 3 1st floor windows and central entrance. 3-lights flush casement windows (4-lights to left of door) and gabled Victorian timber porch to half-glazed door. Stucco keystones over ground floor windows. Tile creasing above brick casing to ground floor under roughcast finial. Large C16 rearwall chimney to S part of front range originally with one octagonal shaft and patterns in glazed brick, but adapted to 3 diagonal square shafts in late C17 when SW parlour wing added and 1st floor fireplace. C18 internal N gable chimney. 3 flush box sash windows to 1st floor on S with 3/6 panes. Canted bay window to S end of front range. Interior has exposed timbers, evidence for jetty to old front range which was a 3-bays crosswing with crown-post roof, square crown-post with heavy square-section braces to collar purlin and originally down-braces to tie-beams. Shaped end of wallplate to support former bargeboard, and originally without a fireplace or partitions. No obvious break in floor joists for staircase so probably an external stair. Depressed C17 4-centred arched head to chamber fireplace over parlour. Name from John de Hauile flour. c.1294. By 1580 owned by Kympton family. (VCH (1912)175: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2784628088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162734

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 175

End of official listing