LANNOCK MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102491

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: LANNOCK MANOR, HITCHIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANNOCK MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:47:15.

Location

Statutory Address: LANNOCK MANOR, HITCHIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Weston

National Grid Reference: TL 24718 30364

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON HITCHIN ROAD TL 23 SW 1/126 Lannock Manor - - II

Manor house. N 2-storeys range early C17 probably part of house built for William Hale who bought the manor in 1621. S range early C18, middle range remodelled for new W entrance in early/mid C19 still for Hale family, alterations and extensions 1911 for Pryor family owners since 1896, SE wing 1924, former N wing built in 1910 largely demolished 1962. N range timber framed cased in brick, mellow red brick, steep old red tile roofs with hipped N and S ranges. SW wing and E part of middle range. A large 2-storeys and cellar, compact block some way from road along drive, entered from E and main rooms facing W and S. Main part comprises 3 parallel adjacent ranges with separate roofs running E-W. N range has large internal chimney to E of centre with 3 diagonally set square shafts. S range built as a new S front range in early C18 with symmetrical 5 windows wide S elevation with central entrance shown in Oldfield drawing of 1804 in HRO has taller central window and chimney rising through parapet over. Front still has plinth, plat-band, moulded brick eaves cornice to steep hipped roof of red tiles chequered with buff tiles. Windows altered to standard recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes and flat gauged arches to ground floor. Half-glazed flush-beaded panelled door with moulded flat hood on elaborate shaped brackets. RH bay obscured by 1924 SE wing, 3 windows wide facing W with large projecting rearwall chimney. E front has 3 adjoining hipped gables, canted bay with sash windows to ground floor to each side of entrance bay with projecting porch and hooded entrance. Sash window to left of porch. 3 flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes. Plat-band to end of N range. Lower gable projections to N side. Interior has C17 doorway into N range with chamfered jambs and stops. Large ovolo moulded fireplace with Delft tiles to interior. Panelling elaborately moulded with fluted frieze from Letchworth Hall installed in 1920s. Cut string staircase in middle range with swept handrail and 2 turned balusters to each step. Manor granted to Knights Templars by Gilbert de Clare before 1148, passed to Hospitallers in 1309 and remained theirs until the Dissolution c.1540. A chapel standing a little to SSW of house is shown on the drawing of 1804 with 4 lancet windows, corner buttresses, and pitched roof in use as a barn, but demolished before 1875. (VCH (1912)174: inf the owner).

Listing NGR: TL2471830364

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162738

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 174

End of official listing